Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Playing the Hate Game

Why are we encouraged to hate the rich (the definition changes every day), Wall Streeters (many wage earners invest individually or their retirement plans invest for them), corporations, bankers, business owners, etc?

Why are ethnic groups encouraged to remain separate with separate languages, customs, allegiances, rallies demanding the downfall of the US, and even their own laws in their enclaves (Sharia law which is antithetical to US law and democracy)? Shouldn't they be encouraged to assimilate to strengthen our country?

Is it all in the interest of divisiveness, so politicians can wreak havoc on separate groups, through taxes and other laws? Is it to keep us from caring what happens to the others?

Remember the German, Pastor Martin Niemoller, who tried to explain how Germans could have allowed the Nazis to purge group after group without raising a fuss. The largest and most known of the targeted groups were the Jews, who the Nazis encouraged the others to hate. By and large the Germany was a nation of intelligent, hardworking, normal people, but they were divided by well-promoted hate and intolerance.

Essentially, this is what Pastor Niemoller said:

First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak up.

OofDah! The hate game can be dangerous to your health and well-being! Stop playing it!

1 comment:

  1. I love the quote. I used it with both Anne Frank and my bully unit.

    ReplyDelete