Friday, April 2, 2010

Expressions and tantrums

Freedom of speech has been taken for granted in this country for all of my very, very long life. For all those many years, basically the only thing reining in our speech has been our personal morality and integrity. If everyone's morality and integrity was decently intact and utilized to govern a mature individual's speech, there should be no reason to further curb anyone's speech.

However, since morality and integrity, not to mention maturity, have been abdicated in these anything-goes, no-respect times, some restrictions must apply.

As much as I value free speech and all our liberties, I cannot argue against restrictions in certain cases, such as requiring respect at an individual's funeral. Do you want the funeral of your loved one disrupted with cursing, nasty signs, chants, and other disrespectful acts? I simply do not understand people who cannot respect the mourners at a burial.

Ya got something to say? Fine. Choose a better venue.

Actually, I do not look at this as curbing free speech; it's more a case of reining in out-of-control idiots - people who have attained not even a modicum of maturity.

A case in point: I watched a clip of an immature pink-hatted adult child disrupt a book signing recently. I'm not sure what her point was. I doubt it was to promote Dick Morris' latest book, but that's what she accomplished, in my case at least.

Yes, she promoted his work.

Although I was aware of the publication of the book, I had no plan to read it. Now, however, I plan to buy to it protest the "pink child's" behavior, and I plan to read it because I want to know what in the book is so objectionable to the tantrum-throwing juvenile.

Don't you wonder what he wrote could be important enough to warrant such an embarrassing display of childish behavior?

OOfDah! It must be pretty interesting! So go out an purchase it.

Tell them the pink-hatted child sent you.

Venlig hilsen!

No comments:

Post a Comment