Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day Remembrance

As I Stood Among the Crosses

As I stood among the crosses
Contemplating war's terrible losses
The whispered prayers among the trees
Brought me humbly to my knees

For these prayers the dead were giving
And they were praying for the living:
"Hold! Protect your freedom!
For this our lives are done

"Allow not inroads on our gain
Or our lives were spent in vain
With this sacred duty we charge all:
Make sure your freedoms do not fall

Some must always fight and die
Others serve a different battle cry
'Death, death! to infringing policy!
To keep this, your great land, free!'

All, all! Go forth! Defend!
Upon you, you! we depend
That from death we may proclaim
We did not die in vain!"

As I knelt among the crosses
I understood they marked not only losses
But, also, freedom's mighty gains
And I prayed that all take up the reins

Of vigilance, of freedom's fight
And demand, demand! the right
Of freedom -- to validate the losses
Marked by these small white crosses.

God bless all who died for our freedom. Amen.

Snooky 2002

2 comments: