Saturday, October 2, 2010

What is a Fair Trade

Should the government give you money?  Take care of you?  Provide for your needs?  Give you a car?  Keep you safe? Pay for your health care?  What would you give in return?

I've been thinking about a blog I participated in a year or two ago.  It was set up to facilitate quick give and take, more like an open conversation.  It was interesting, but I didn't like the name-calling and the nastiness that resulted. I enjoy discussing the issues, but the name-calling, not so much . Anyway, you get the idea of the informal format.

I've been thinking about one particular give and take on that site.

A person posted a comment that I surely thought must have been ill-considered and replied, "You just said you would be happy to give up your freedom for ten dollars.  You could not mean that."

The answer, "Sure, wouldn't you?"

So what's your price?  What would you take to give up your freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment